Now for the suggestions. Yep – they’re just suggestions, not requirements. We think they’re a good idea, or nice, or useful, or helpful – but they’re not crucial to the hunt running smoothly, so it’s entirely your call on these things.
- Put in something for guys AND girls. There are plenty of male AVs who come on hunts (especially this one) – so if you can include something for everyone, please do! Unisex is fine, different prizes for girls or guys is fine too.
- How about some extra fun at your location? On the first Twisted Hunt, Yellow JesteR made a little ‘hunt within a hunt’. At the landing point hunters found some floating text that told them to click there for a hint. And it gave them a hint that led them to another item they could click for a hint, and so on. It was only a few, before the final hint led to the box – but hunters raved and cheered, and enjoyed it immensely. Since then, many merchants have come up with many creative ideas for additional Twisted fun on the hunt. So if you can plan a little extra fun at your location, feel free! Some people will be crabby, but most will appreciate the effort.
- Feel free to move your hunt box around as often as you like, as long as it’s within 30m of the landing (or 20 meters for Petite hunt boxes). We do – sometimes ten times a day, if we’re around and feeling evil. People WILL post ‘cheats’ (even though we tell them not to). And personally, we think it’s great fun to watch people teleport in from a link they so clearly got from a cheat blog and stare at where they think the item is supposed to be for 30 minutes, waiting for it to rez. In fact, it pretty much cracks us up.
- Provide a hint. Hints aren’t required for the Twisted hunt, but they’re fun! Hunters are instructed to ask for help in the Twisted Hunt group, and the group is encouraged to help each other. The Twisted Hunt group in full swing is a thing of beauty, honest. The fun and frustration everyone experiences has made this one of the strongest hunt communities in SL. The organizers, assistants, and hint givers are more than happy to update the hint for the group as often as you’d like to move your hunt box – we promise! If you would like us to help you make a clever hint we’re happy to do that, too! And look! An online form! Now it’s easier than ever to update your hint with the Twisted folks! Note: Yes, we know many of you have hint givers in your stores – you’re welcome to use them. It would be REALLY appreciated if you’d update us when you change them. While we can always say, “Use the hint giver at the store”, it’s often a big let-down for hunters who have asked the group for help.
- Consider making your gift no-transfer. It never fails; at least once during the hunt, a merchant IMs me in a flap because their prize is no-copy/yes-transfer and someone is standing there taking forty copies of it. Unless you plan to stand around and watch over you prize like a hawk day and night, we suggest making your prize no-transfer. Then, it won’t matter how many copies people take. And, if people want the prize, they have to come and get it themselves.
- Thank the hunt assistants at the end of the hunt. We intend to shower them with gifts and words of high praise. We’d like you to consider the same. Who are these hunt assistants? They’re hunters (and occasionally merchants) who take it on themselves to help the other hunters. They keep track of the most recent hints for locations, to help hunters in chat. They watch over group chat and keep it all friendly. They note problems hunters have and pass notecards to merchants. And occasionally they actually come to your store and help someone in the virtual flesh. Seriously, they spend almost their whole time logged in serving the hunters, the group, and you. And they do it all for nothing, except the love of the hunt and the Twisted community. And they make our lives better for it. So lavish thanks is totally not out of order. 😉
- Finally – have fun. Sure, there will be jerks. And people who behave badly. And even people who are just plan rude, despite the fact we’re all trying to enjoy ourselves. Fuck’em, have fun anyway. The hunt group is always a TON of fun, people make a lot of new friends, and the sense of community is simply awesome. So – screw the people who suck, don’t let them ruin it for you. Decide they don’t matter, and have a blast with us.